Aquaponics Grow Bed
The Aquaponics 300mm deep grow bed provides an ideal environment for the processing and delivery of nutrients to plants, resulting in optimum plant growth and health. It also assists by converting ammonia given off by fish to nitrates.
Price includes GST $440.00
What is Aquaponics?
Aquaponics is the combination of aquaculture (growing fish in water) and hydroponics (growing plants in water). Benefits include:
- 90% less water used than for a conventional garden.
- 5 times the plant growth rate of a conventional garden.
- Fish can be grown for the plate or kept as pets.
How Aquaponics works
Aquaponics involves plants and fish growing symbiotically in a closed system.
- Fish live in the fishpond/tank.
- The water from the pond, enriched with fish waste, is used to feed plants in separate grow beds.
- The plants, along with healthy, naturally occurring bacteria, clean the water.
- The water is delivered back to the fish, being oxygenated along the way.
Organic vegetables can be grown highly efficiently in the nutrient rich pond water. Fish, yabbies and mussels can also be grown in the closed system, providing a constantly renewable food source with no chemicals and no fuss – just fresh fish, herbs and vegetables.
The unique advantages of aquaponic systems are:
- Conservation through constant water reuse and recycling.
- Organic fertilization of plants with natural fish emulsion.
- The elimination of solid waste disposal from intensive aquaculture.
- The reduction of needed cropland to produce crops.
- The overall reduction of the environmental footprint of crop production.
- Building small efficient commercial installations near markets reduces food miles.
- Reduction of pathogens that often plague aquaculture production systems.